Wednesday 4 September 2013



Holton in India '13 Group 2



HWhat struck me most about our integration into the Indian culture was their sense of space. I immediately noticed how people were on top of each other. In the slums, houses are so close they often share the same wall; on the streets, drivers and bikers don't use the lane lines at all it seems, and even in the classrooms, desks/tables are squeezed into the room. When we took the rick-shaw ride through Old Delhi, we bumped into other

people, animals, trash...etc. essentially whatever was in our way. The bike driver guided us through the tiny streets, nearly giving me a heart attack. This was probably the most culture-shocking activity for me because I am used to having my own personal space. It was such an eye-opening experience to physically be a part of such a different way of life.

Love,

Greer



Coming to India has been an experience unlike anything else I have done. The clashes between tradition and modernity as well as between rich and poor are astonishing. There are so many women dressed in traditional Indian attire, such as a sari, not just in villages but in cities as well. The people here try to hold onto their customs while living this in modernized and technological world. It's also startling to see the contrast between rich and poor. In India there will be such great poverty: people with nothing, begging on the streets, right outside the doorsteps of the very rich. For me it was especially hard to see the children begging for money or persistently following you and trying to sell you something. It's really difficult to see a child probably no older than eight or ten and sometimes younger all alone on the streets with no parents asking you for water or food by either gesturing or using what little English they know to ask for it. However, as hard as it is, you have to say no for many complicated reasons. The one thing that really struck me was the girls at the school in the Molar Bund slum. They live in horrendous conditions that are hard to look a, let alone think about living in. Yet despite all of this, they seem so happy and have such great attitudes about learning in school and about life. This makes me feel grateful for everything that I have, and I hope to remember that it is the simple things in life that make you happy and not material wealth.

-Brooke


It's hard to express how grateful I am to have had this incredible opportunity to travel to India. My experience has taught me not to take the luxuries I have in America for granted. The visits to Molar Bund helped me appreciate simplicity and find joy in intangible things. I was often pushed out of my comfort zone; I believe this trip has been an integral part in my growth as a student and a more responsible and culturally sensitive person.

Katie


This trip to India was very unique, and I think it brought us girls much closer together. Seeing the different extremes of social classes and various types or architecture exemplified the diversity within India. As Americans, people think diversity is always related to race, but we have to keep in mind that different cultures have different types of diversity. I really learned to appreciate what I have, and the trip has made me want to truly help and make a difference for those who are less fortunate.

Sarina


Summing up my final thoughts in a few sentences proves a difficult task because we did and learned so much in these two weeks. have not only gained so much appreciation for every little thing I have and am able to do, but also I learned so many things about myself. Our amazing group, trip leaders, and guide made the already special experience even more extraordinary. Before this trip, I had no idea of the extent to which our culture differs from every other culture out there; it was truly shocking. People had told me this would be a once in a lifetime experience, but I never truly understood. I will never forget this trip, and I'm unbelievably thankful to have gotten the opportunity to go.

Megan



The two weeks I've spent in India have really changed my perspective and made me appreciate everything we have in the US. The opportunity to emerge into and participate in Indian culture was one that I may never get to have again, and it was shocking how easy it was to connect with the people we interacted with. Throughout the trip I had so many heartwarming moments, and overall it was a great experience for my first time out of the country.

Tyler


For me, India has been an opportunity to experience, an opportunity to appreciate, and most importantly an opportunity to grow. Within the 15 days I've been here, I've seen some of the most beautiful and ugly sights which I will carry home with me. Overall, I cannot wait to take all that I've learned here and apply it to my life at home.

Sky

India has been amazing in every way possible. It has made me realize how fortunate we are in every way. It's very different to hear about the slums and poor people in India than it is to experience it for yourself. The streets of Molar Bund are covered in trash, with kids playing next to pigs in the garbage. All the kids are so happy with their simple lives, when we whine and complain about the most trivial things. It's really upsetting to me that these children are born into lives of poverty with few opportunities. This trip has made me very thankful that I have all the opportunities that I do. I'm proud that I pushed myself far out of my comfort zone and tried not to look back. I think it helped me experience India for what it is and take everything in. I'm going home having learned a lot of life lessons and information about other religions and parts of the world.

Molly



I never thought I'd have the chance to visit a place like India, but during my stay here I've realized it's just another thing I have to be thankful for. I'm grateful that we visited slums like Molar Bund because most of us haven't seen poverty like that before, and it pushed us outside of our comfort zones. In a place where wild animals are everywhere and children spend their days playing in piles of garbage, I never thought I'd see the smiles I did at the school there. The students are unbelievably smart considering their lives just outside the gates, and the eagerness they had to learn amazed me. Our time with the kids there reminded me to appreciate the things I so easily take for granted back home. I also saw education in a whole new light, not just as a privilege, but as an outlet. I have learned to take risks, and I understand now why our teachers encouraged us to throw ourselves fully into the experience. I've an had an awesome time with amazing people.

Jane


























This being my first time out of the country, I knew things would be different and I thought I had properly prepared myself for the huge differences I would see between India and the US. I knew to expect horrible poverty and while this did shock me with every new thing I saw what I didn't expect were all the little culture differences between the two countries. For example the way that Indians gesture ok with a side nod or the way no one says excuse me after they burp, etc. While there were many other important things that I observed while on this trip, these little differences remind me that no culture is the same and for this reason it can be extremely hard to compare them. Throughout the trip we all kept asking "Would we do that in America?" But this question does not have an accurate answer because of the all the little ways we are different. We were all raised differently so it is hard to compare many of the things we saw and didn't understand. This trip has given me experiences which I will remember for the rest of my life and use throughout my future travels.

Maddie


This trip was an amazing experience. When we first arrived in Delhi, I was immediately shocked to see the amount of people sleeping on the streets. It has made me realize how fortunate all of us really are and how much we take for granted. The kids that we got a chance to interact with at Molar Bund basically have nothing, yet they seem so happy. From now on when I complain about what I don't have and when I want something, I will just think about all the people here in India that have to beg for the money to make dinner that night and the children that sleep on the bare ground with a few pairs of pants and a few shirts, and everyone that works so hard to make every cent they have. It made my heart bleed to realize that so many people in the world live like this when we have air conditioning in our homes, have clean water, and have the ability to be properly nourished. These people are put into their lives without the opportunities that we have, but I know they want to learn so much. I learned that many people with less are more hungry for success.

Blair


India was a wonderful experience. It gave me the opportunity to bond with teachers and students in a different way than I would at Holton. I feel like we are all a family now. I loved visiting the beautiful temples and the Taj Mahal, of course. The slums and villages were great because I loved seeing smiles on everyone's faces when we would come and interact with them. I learned many life lessons from this trip just from visiting the slums/ villages and listening to the monks at Norbulingka. India has made me appreciate my life greatly. Also, India has made me realize that happiness comes from simplicity, and I plan to act on that.

Love,

Sufie

No comments:

Post a Comment